On 09-20-19 at 11:40 a.m., Deputy Glen Hickey, a School Resource Officer at Central High School, was notified of a 16-year-old student who was choking in a nearby classroom.
When Deputy Hickey arrived, he found the student sitting in a desk being tended to by the school nurse and a teacher.
Hickey observed the student struggling to breathe and starting to lose color in the face.
The teacher advised the student was possibly choking on a piece of chocolate.
With the student unable to respond to questions, Deputy Hickey quickly picked up the student from the desk and began performing the Heimlich maneuver.
After performing a few thrusts, the teacher advised something had come out of the student’s mouth.
Deputy Hickey advised the student began to breathe more freely and the color had returned to the face.
Paramedics arrived a short time later and transported the student to a nearby hospital for further treatment. The student is expected to make a full recovery.