United Way of Hernando County raised more than $12,000 for childhood literacy at their 6th Annual “KICK” Start to Early Literacy Kickball Tournament, celebrated at Anderson Snow Park in Spring Hill on Saturday, March 27. WRECking Crew claimed victory in this tournament, the proceeds of which will provide 6,000 books to area children.
Proceeds from this popular fund-raising tournament benefit United Way’s Dolly Parton Imagination Library (DPIL), which supports the cause of childhood literacy on a national level, and locally by sending enrolled Hernando children a free book in the mail every month, from birth to age 5.
After a long event that saw teams representing Hernando businesses vying for the Championship Trophy, the final matchup came down between Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative’s Team ‘WRECking Crew’ and their Celebrity Coach Jeff Rogers, Hernando County Administrator, and The Plumadore Group’s Team ‘Kicking Balls & Taking Listings’ with their Celebrity Coach Doug Chorvat Jr., Clerk of Court & Comptroller.
It was a close game but in the end, The WRECking Crew was crowned the victors and the 2021 Kickball Champions. The following businesses and their accompanying Celebrity Coaches (CC) competed in this year’s event:
- Team “O’Berry’s All Stars” from Publix at Seven Hills –> CC Allissa O’Berry, Publix #411
- Team “The Heat” from the HC Sheriff’s Office –> CC Sheriff Al Nienhuis, Hernando County Sheriff’s Office
- Team “Average Joe’s” from Publix at Mariner Commons –> CC Beth Narverud, Hernando County Commissioner
- Team “Dupuis Demolishers” from Publix Hernando West –> CC Billy & Kristie Healis, Walmart Dist. & HC County Judge
- Team “If You Ain’t Amerifirst, You’re Last” from Amerifirst Home Mortgage –> CC Blake Bell, Brooksville City Council
- Team “Champa Bay” from Timber Pines Community Association –> CC Chance Phillips, Beer Frog/Evom
- Team “Schwiftey Business” from Publix at Brooksville Square –> CC Chris Linsbeck, Hernando County Parks & Recreation
- Team “Eleven Ninety Great” from Publix at Glen Lakes –> CC Doug Chorvat, Clerk of Court
- Team “Oops! We Kicked It Again” from Publix Lakewood Plaza –> CC Dr. Eddie Williams, PHSC
- Team “The Done Dealers” from Publix Avalon –> CC Dr. Joanie Davis, Davis Family Hearing
- Team “Kicking Balls & Taking Listings” from The Plumadore Group –> CC Jeff Holcomb, Hernando County Commissioner
- Team “WRECking Crew” from Withlacoochie River Electric Coop. –> CC Jeff Rogers, County Administrator
- Team “World’s Okayest Kickballers” from HC Schools –> CC Superintendent John Stratton, Hernando County School District
- Team “Barrette Knights” from Barrette Outdoor Living –> CC Josh McGuire, Texas Roadhouse
- Team “NO BASE LIKE HOME” from Century 21 Alliance Realty –> CC Marilyn Pearson Adams, Century 21 Alliance Realty
- Team “Pitches Be Crazy” from Publix at Barclay –> CC Marvelous Marvin, HITS 106
Send your own community support and success stories to community reporter Megan Hussey at [email protected]. Show Us Your Sunshine!