Photography by Cheryl Clanton
SPRING HILL- Springstead made the kind of strides for one to say the program is trending in the right direction. Under the direction of head coach Kyra Leonard, the only thing that eluded the Eagles last season was clinching the elusive postseason berth.
The Eagles just fell out of contention in competing for a district championship after falling in the Class 7A, District 8 semifinals against rival Land O’ Lakes. The loss still lingers with coaches and players, but also serves as extra motivation to get back to playing high caliber volleyball this season. The 2017 campaign was a success nonetheless, with the team going 16-6. They head into this fall with higher expectations.
Springstead has played well early on and is 3-1 start to the season, with the Eagles only loss coming to Nature Coast Tech in the opener. Since the mishap to the Sharks, the Eagles have racked up three wins in a row against Zephyrhills, Central and Inverness Citrus, respectively.
The upcoming slate of contests for the Eagles will very much test Springstead to the highest extent, as the club will face off against rivals Hernando, Weeki Wachee, Land O’ Lakes and Mitchell. The latter two contests will be 7A-8 district matchups. The rematch against Nature Coast will take place on October 9th, a matchup that will be sure to attract a lot of fanfare.
Hernando Sun Top 5 Prep Volleyball Poll
1. Nature Coast (3-0): Dispatching Springstead in the season opener was Round 1 for Nature Coast. Now they face Weeki Wachee in their next toughest match of the season.
2. Weeki Wachee (3-0): The Hornets have been steady in their first three matches of the season. Weeki Wachee has rolled up wins versus Crystal River, Citrus and Hernando.
3. Springstead (3-1): Despite a 3-2 loss to Nature Coast Technical, Springstead has ripped off three wins in a row.
4. Hernando (3-2): Hernando’s only two losses of the season have come against a couple of the area’s better teams in Academy at the Lakes and Weeki Wachee, respectively.
5. Central (0-2): The young Bears are still trying to find their way to its first win under Nikki LaRiviere.
Andy Villamarzo can be reached at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @avillamarzo.