History

J.C. Burwell: Innovator, Publisher & Businessman

First car in Brooksville - Florida. 1909. Black & white photonegative, 4 x 5 in. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. J.C. and Sally Burwell are in the car; Lucy and Grace Burwell are on the porch of the Burwell home.

In the early days of Hernando county and Brooksville an important figure was John Cabell (J.C.) Burwell. J.C. Burwell was the editor and publisher of The Brooksville Star which he started in 1888. The Brooksville Star was a weekly paper which came out on Friday and was associated with the Democratic Party. It had a circulation of around 500 people.

Spring Hill turns 50

Don McNeill was part of a Spring Hill advertsing campaign circa 1970.

It has been 50 years since the founding of Spring Hill. Spring Hill's grand opening took place on April 30th, 1967. The president of the Deltona Corporation Frank L. Mackle Jr., presented the official dedication speech. He spoke about how he looked forward to the future of the development "with Excitement." According to Frank E.

Hernando County's contributions to World War II

A concrete bunker that was used in testing and alignment of aircraft machine guns during WWII at Brooksville - TB Regional Airport.

The genesis of the Brooksville Army field now known as the Brooksville–Tampa Bay Regional Airport came during World War II. A multi-county committee representing the Hernando County Chamber of Commerce met with US Senator Claude Pepper asking for his help in convincing the Army Air Force to create an army base on the lands controlled by the Withlacoochee Forest land use development program. The committee was comprised of John Wallace who served as Project Manager for the creation of the Withlacoochee Forest for the Resettlement Administration, Sheriff Neil F.

Opening a connection to our past

Donna Burkes and Kylee Hill ring up customers at the  Richloam General Store grand opening on Feb. 25th, 2017.

On the eastern outskirts of Hernando County, a few miles east of 75, about a half mile south of 50, down a limerock road stands a small general store and post office whose history is connected to several early industries of Florida: timber, turpentine, the railroad and agricultural development. Proprietors Eric and Donna Burkes, who also operate a sign production business, rebuilt the structure in 2016 as a way to attract customers. The Burkes began the sign business in their home next door three years ago, following Eric’s retirement from the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office.

Spring Hill was almost named Spring Lake

Spring Lake?

The waterfall on US19 almost had a different name on it. Spring Hill was not the first choice of the developers. The original name of the development was Spring Lake after the twenty mostly spring fed lakes that were scattered throughout the development’s property.

Spring Hill was developed by the Deltona Corporation. The Deltona Corporation was the development company that was formed by the Mackle Brothers: Elliott, Robert and Frank Jr. They had developments started in Marco Island and Deltona Lakes at the time, but their main focus was Spring Hill.

Brooksville: 'UFO Capital of the World'

Replica UFO where Western Way Plaza now sits, Photo Courtesy of Old Brooksville In Photos & Stories, Bob Martinez

Near where the Western Way Plaza now sits, in Brooksville, there was a replica UFO. It was built by John Reeves who reported that he frequently saw UFOs in that area.

He enjoyed taking walks through the sandy pine covered area around his home. He reported that on March 2, 1965 in the woods he came across a strange object sitting on the ground. The object was disc shaped and held up with four stilts keeping it a few feet off the ground. The disc was 40 feet in diameter and 9 feet tall at the center.