Hernando County Library

History of the Hernando County Public Library System

Many people have given generously of their time, expertise, money and even building materials, such as brick and sand, to make the county's library system the valued community asset that it is today. In 1910 the Brooksville Woman's Club formed and operated the first free lending library in Hernando County. By 1917 the collection totaled 1,083 volumes valued at$833. The Extension Service helped to give access to the library by delivering books to distant parts of the county where the extension agents were conducting various demonstration projects.