Activities and Questions based on the Feb. 2 -8, 2024 issue
Teachers, homeschool parents and students, if you have any suggestions or ideas for these teacher guides, please email Sarah Nachin – [email protected] This guide is based on the newest Florida Standards for grade school through high school.
- Critical Thinking activity for High School: (ELA.9.C.4.1) – Conduct research to answer a question, drawing on multiple reliable and valid sources, and refining the scope of the question to align with findings.
Read the article on pages A-1 and A-4 regarding the ordinance prohibiting businesses from going cashless. Write a 450-word essay stating the pros and cons of businesses not accepting cash. State which side you agree with and why. Use at least one outside source for your essay and cite the source (title of the article and where you found it – for example, internet URL, title of the book or magazine, etc.
- Social Studies activity for High School: (SS.912.HE.1) – Analyze the origins of Antisemitism and its use by the National Socialist German Workers’ Party (Nazi) regime.
Read the article on page A1, A3 and A-5 about the Holocaust survivors and victims. Write a 500-word essay elaborating on the topic above. Use at least two outside sources and cite your sources (title of the article and where you found it) – for example, internet URL, title of the book or magazine, etc.
- Comprehension activity for Middle School: (ELA.6.V.1.3) – Read and comprehend grade-level complex texts proficiently.
Read the article on pg. B-3 about Maria Tallchief. Then answer the following questions in complete sentences:
Why did Maria Tallchief step down from dancing in 1966?
What is the goal of the Dance Maker Academy?
What were two reasons why Maria’s dancing was unusual for a Native American?
Why did her family move to Los Angeles?
Why were Maria and her husband, George Balanchine, a good team?
What performance made her an international star?
What honors did Maria receive?
What role did she originate?
Why do you think Maria Tallchief faced discrimination during her career?
What dance company did she start?
- Extra Credit Assignment: Write an essay of at least 300 words about one of the following Native American actors: Lily Gladstone, Russell Means, Will Rogers, Sacheen Littlefeather.
- Social Studies activity for Middle School: (SS.68.HE.1.1) Examine the Holocaust as the planned and systematic state-sponsored persecution and murder of European Jews by Nazi Germany and its collaborators between 1933 and 1945.
Read the article on pgs. A-1, A-3, and A-5 about the Holocaust victims and survivors. Choose any of the following topics on which to base an essay or short story. It should be at least 400 words. You will need to do some research in order to complete this assignment.
What was Hitler’s rationalization for wanting to exterminate Jews and other ethnic groups?
What countries helped the Jews and how did they help them?
Pretend you were a Jewish boy or girl at the time of the Holocaust. Write about your feelings during this time. What is your family going to do – flee, hide, or wait and see what happens? “The Diary of Anne Frank” is a good resource to use.
Imagine that the Germans won the war. How would our life be different here in the United States?
- Vocabulary activity for Upper Elementary School: (ELA.K.V.1.2) Ask and answer questions about unfamiliar words in grade-level content.
Read the article on pg. B-1 and B-9 about the Live Oak theatre play. Define the following words as they are used in the article. Also, write down what part of speech each word is:
luminary (the word in the article is “luminaries”)
accrue (the word in the article is “accrued”)
edify (the word in the article is “edifying”)
- Extra Credit Assignment: Use a different form of each of the words in one or more sentences and tell what part of speech the new word is. For example: if the word in the article is “haunted” you could change it to “haunt” and use that word in a sentence.
- Math activity for Upper Elementary School: (MA.5.M.1) Convert measurement units to solve multi-step problems.
Study the following advertisements: Shuayb Dental (pg. A-3), Thura Clean, Inc. (pg. A-4), Killingsworth Insurance (pg. A-5), Greek Festival (pg. B-3). Then calculate the answers to the questions. Hint: All of the calculations have 2 or more steps:
What is the difference between the perimeter of Shuayb Dental’s ad and Thura Clean’s ad? State the answer in inches and then covert to centimeters.
What is the difference between the perimeter of Killingsworth’s ad and the Greek Festival ad? State the answer in inches and then in centimeters.
What is the difference between the area of Shuayb Dental’s ad and the Greek Festival ad? State the answer in square inches and square centimeters.
What is the difference between the area of the Thura Clean ad and the Killingsworth ad? State the answer in square inches and then convert to square centimeters.
What is the total of the perimeters of all the ads? State the answer in inches and then covert to centimeters.
Anyone wishing to submit any of your compositions from this week to the newspaper for us to consider publishing, please email [email protected]. Be sure and include your name, age, grade level and school that you attend.