Sheriff Al Nienhuis is pleased to announce the next session of Situational Awareness Firearms Training (S.A.F.E.) is set for Friday, August 25. S.A.F.E. is an interactive firearms training course available exclusively to Hernando County residents who are current concealed weapon permit-holders.
In Hernando County, there are currently over 21,500 citizens who lawfully possess concealed weapon permits. It is in the public’s best interest for citizens who are legally carrying to also be armed with basic knowledge and skills related to possessing said firearms. Therefore, the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office created this one-day course for its citizens.
The course provides participants with a wide array of information, and interactive (firearms) simulation training, and includes instruction on the firing range with each participant firing 100 rounds from his/her personally owned weapon. This special training will be provided by Hernando County Sheriff’s Office certified firearms instructors from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2023. The training is limited to 12 participants, so register early!
• Each participant must be a full-time resident of Hernando County as verified through a driver’s license or other form of current ID.
• Each participant must possess a current, active Florida Concealed Weapon Permit.
• Each participant must submit to a current criminal history check and verification of participant’s concealed weapon permit.
• A $100 registration fee online. (A portion of the proceeds will benefit Boy Scouts of America.)
• Each participant must bring for use a personally owned firearm. Each firearm will be subject to a safety inspection by Hernando County Sheriff’s Office firearms instructors. (Only .38 caliber, 9mm, 40 caliber, .380 caliber and 45 caliber are allowed.)
• Each participant must bring for use 100 rounds of factory ammunition for his/her firearm. (Reloads are not permitted.)
• Complete the online application. Be sure to include your Concealed Weapon Permit Number.
• Choose a date (August 25, 2023) you would like to attend. Once your application is submitted, you will receive an email to notify you that your application is being processed.
• The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office will conduct a criminal history check and verify your Concealed Weapon Permit.
• Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email with instructions on payment. Only cash or a check will be accepted.
• Once your registration fee is received, a confirmation email will be sent showing you are registered for the class and where to report on the day of the class.